[OSM-talk] AI With Satellite Images for OpenStreetMap

john whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 20:52:03 UTC 2018

My personal reaction is this is frightening.

Already we have buildings mapped twice and unless the import is done very
very carefully I can see problems ahead.

AI and imagery isn't perfect.  Throw in LiDAR or different frequency
imagery and it might get a little more accurate.  Still having said that
there seems to be a large number of Buildings mapped in Africa at Mapathons
that seem to be of poor quality and if it was better than that the over all
data quality might improve.

What it does do is identify an area of concern.  In Canada my understanding
is some sort of automated or semi automated building outline mapping is
being done by NRC and will be released shortly under an Open Data license
that has been approved by the LWG.  These I might trust, an experimental
algorithm on less than perfect imagery I might be more wary of.

Cheerio John