[OSM-talk] Limitations on mapping private information

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 13:29:17 UTC 2018

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2018 00:50:32 +0100
> Tom Pfeifer <t.pfeifer at computer.org> wrote:
>
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Limitations_on_
> mapping_private_information
>
> What I miss is some generic "do not map completely private
> data".

it might not always be clear what "completely private data" is. E.g. if you
map the surface properties of private ground, or private swimming pools,
these could be private details if you already know who lives there, but it
isn't private data as long as you don't know it. And it might be relevant
data for others (e.g. to see how much of an area is sealed, or to estimate
how much water is "wasted" in swimming pools, etc.).

======================

> Maybe also mention some opposite cases? For example we map military
> areas, also in countries that have laws forbidding doing this.

has nothing to do with "private data", IMHO

> ======================
>
> I am unsure about "do not add the names of inhabitants to dwellings".
>
> I would describe my position as:
>
> In Europe/North America, information who lives at given location is
> generally private and confidential. In addition it is not necessary
> as we have addresses that are considered public.
>
> But significant part of people across the world have no addresses[1].
> These places are generally not currently mapped in OSM, so how to
> describe locating schemes used by their residents remains an unsolved
> problem.

likely the solution is not putting all these people with their names in
OSM. "do not add the names of inhabitants to dwellings" seems fine to me.
They could use geocordinates, o solutions like what-three-fucks ;-)

Or maybe start inventing/assigning street names and housenumbers, if you
just do it without a lot of coordination you might create some ambiguities,
but it would probably already solve most of the issue.

Cheers,
Martin