[OSM-talk] Roundabouts - why is a separate segment required?

Matej Lieskovský lieskovsky.matej+osm at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 00:02:53 UTC 2018

If two ways enter a roundabout at the same point, you can turn from
road A into road B instantly,
but going from B to A will require going around the entire roundabout.
For a router to detect this, it would have to check (for every
encountered node):
1) is this a part of a roundabout?
2) if yes, which of the turns I can make here would require going
around the roundabout?

Note that 1) is a query for all ways using that node and 2) requires
geometry data (instead of just network)

While this is doable (or could be solved with turn restrictions),
it makes roundabouts a much more of a special case.
The current tagging of a one-way circular way is much easier for
routing software to deal with
and is conceptually "cleaner".

Also, having the intersection directly on the roundabout
is potentially also a valid way of drawing a regular intersection
directly next to the roundabout.
(I would not be surprised to see such a crazy construction somewhere)