[OSM-talk] Roundabouts - why is a separate segment required?

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 15 17:20:33 UTC 2018

> If I'm judging the angles correctly, OsmAnd will not even announce that
> intersection: the angle between Wapping and Commercial is shallow
> enough that OsmAnd sees it as a single road, while the angle between
> Wapping and the roundabout is sharp enough to not require a "keep
> left" instruction.

If true I see that as a worrying error in OSMAnd. Entering form Wapping
you pass roundabout signs approach give way markings for traffic on the
roundabout. It's scary routers base their calculations on geometry
rather than tags & node locations.

> the router now needs to check all ways
> connected to that node to see if any of them is part of a roundabout.

No different from when you encounter an exit, even if it's not attached
to the same node as an entrance.

DaveF