[OSM-talk] "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 11:58:46 UTC 2018

The emacsen's blog post is spot on. I see it as a call for change from a
person who genuinely cares about OSM, not a bitter rant.

When you say A and the world says B, it maybe well worth considering that B
is the way to go.

I think many other people share his views, but were afraid to voice it,
just because of being told "that's the way we do things".

Sure we can't have all of what he outlined, but doing even half of it would
really benefit us.  What was sufficient in 2008 may need to be adjusted in
2018.

The great challenge is not of technical, but rather political nature.

I see hope in local communities. They bridged the gap with their tools,
maps and promotion efforts. But this doesn't mean OSMF has to slack off. If
only more of talented and, most importantly, motivated people from local
chapters would want to drive OSMF forward...

Changing your mission statement is not acknowledging you were wrong. It's
acknowledging the world has changed or maybe has different needs.

All in all it's not about blaming each other, but working towards our
common goal of mapping the world freely.

Michało