[OSM-talk] "The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps" Slashdot.org , Saturday February 17, 2018

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Sat Feb 17 22:57:16 UTC 2018

"but where Google starts to go haywire is in the properly mapped areas."

As someone who lives remote in the Netherlands, I can agree to that. DHL,
UPS, even ambulances; they are still unable to find my house although I am
living here 7 years now.

But, I think OSM is also going haywire in the Netherlands, where we've all
been blinded by imports and lack true numbers of mappers to keep the entire
country acurate and actual. I have been using maps.me to route from my
house to Delft, Leiden, Utrecht and all the way up to Den Helder and I have
collected screenshots of strange routing errors that, in my personal
opinion, are due to nobody being involved in the road-routing quality in
the Netherlands. As routing is one of the basics for self driving cars,
this is (and on this I DO agree with the author of the blog) troublesome.

I still think (and I actively tried to send out this message between
2008~2012) that an inclusive community and growing such a community should
be one of the focus points of the OSMF.