[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Feb 18 18:51:51 UTC 2018

On 18/02/18 18:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:31 PM, Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu
> <mailto:tom at compton.nu>> wrote:
>
>     On 18/02/18 18:05, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>         On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Grant Slater
>         <openstreetmap at firefishy.com
>         <mailto:openstreetmap at firefishy.com>
>         <mailto:openstreetmap at firefishy.com
>         <mailto:openstreetmap at firefishy.com>>> wrote:
>
>              How about someone in the community organises a Beauty
>         Parade / Cross
>              Comparison of different open OpenStreetMap GeoCoders?
>

>         How about search against multiple geocoders instead of just
>         Nominatim and GeoNames?
>

>     We have all the infrastructure to do that if you have suggestions
>     about other geocoders we could use.
>

> Not having tried it myself, I have heard positive things on Reddit and
> Telegram about Photon <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Photon>.

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear. I meant an actual service we could
direct queries to, not just come code.

I mean we probably could come up with hardware to run something else
but it would need somebody prepared to do the work of running it.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/