[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Sun Feb 18 18:53:43 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-18 19:28, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 18/02/18 18:04, Paul Johnson wrote:
>
>>   OK, so what can we do about this problem?  For example, go to Jenks,
>> Oklahoma.  Search for Walmart.  First result isn't the Walmart
>> Neighborhood Market across the street from the Riverside Market
>> shopping center.  It's not even the Walmart Supercenter across from
>> Oral Roberts University.  Or even the Walmart Neighborhood Market
>> further from downtown Jenks, but still in Jenks, over by Haddington
>> Heights.  The results instead are in Sunset Harbor, Florida; Saint
>> Louis, Missouri; Tallahassee, Florida, El Paso, Texas; and Fairbanks,
>> Alaska.
>>
>> I get that if you get specific and actually type "Walmart jenks" in,
>> you get the one in Haddington Heights, and then the one in Glenpool,
>> Oklahoma (slightly odd for that one, but not entirely unreasonable).
>> But this isn't what most people are going to do.  I also get that the
>> homepage isn't /meant/ to be used as the product itself, just a
>> demonstration, but we really should be putting our best foot forward
>> there.
>
> I can't comment about how the algorithm works because I don't know
> anything about it. I'm just saying that we do tell it the viewbox

It appears to me that the bounding box is used when searching places
(towns, cities) or streets, but not when searching objects like shops or
restaurants.
For instance, searching for a McDonald's always gives me the McDonald's
at 1351, George Dieter Drive, El Paso City, El Paso County, Texas,
79936, Verenigde Staten van Amerika

Maarten