[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Sun Feb 18 19:21:42 UTC 2018

With 103 open issues and 12 open pull requests, I would love to
volunteer to at least help get those cleared first. Given the (very
positive, I am glad so many people are acting on this thread)
activity, I think if everybody lends a couple of hours of code this
week we can get nominatim ready to make some progress.

> On 2018-02-18 20:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 2018-02-18 19:28, Tom Hughes wrote:
>

>>> I can't comment about how the algorithm works because I don't know
>>> anything about it. I'm just saying that we do tell it the viewbox
>>

>>  It appears to me that the bounding box is used when searching places
>> (towns, cities) or streets, but not when searching objects like shops
>> or restaurants.
>> For instance, searching for a McDonald's always gives me the
>> McDonald's at 1351, George Dieter Drive, El Paso City, El Paso County,
>> Texas, 79936, Verenigde Staten van Amerika
>>
>>  Keen ask.  I think a _lot_ of the complaints regarding Nominatim that
>> have come up could be fixed by using the bounding box context for all
>> items.  I may have incorrectly opened an Osmand bug [1] on the
>> assumption Nominatim was consistently using the geocontext for all
>> results.
>

> I've opened a Nominatim bug for it.
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/Nominatim/issues/930
>

> Maarten