[OSM-talk] Migrating help.openstreetmap.org

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Feb 18 23:07:55 UTC 2018

While we have everybody burning to help with technical issues...

We have the rather mundane problem that the underlying software for
help.openstreetmap.org has not only been unmaintained for many years, it
has a number of defects that range from just annoying (edited comments
can't be moved/changed to questions), over painful (i18n support) to
dangerous (blanket use of gravatar).

There are naturally lots of different options for a replacement, but the
most attractive would seem to be move to ASKBOT, see
https://github.com/openstreetmap/operations/issues/149 At least that
solution has the potential that we could retain the work that has gone
in the current set of Q&As.

Investigating the mechanics of the migration, writing any necessary
scripts (we are likely not the first org facing this problem, so likely
they exist somewhere) and so on, would seem like a nice, self-contained
task for somebody wanting to help with OSM ops. It is quite possible
that there might be an even better option that we haven't thought of,
but it should be noted that we've already had drawn out discussions on
the topic.

Volunteers should likely best chime in on the github issue.

Simon

In no other capacity as one of the more active users of
help.openstreetmap.org