[OSM-talk] Nominatim on the main page

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 19 09:59:31 UTC 2018

On 2018-02-19 10:17, Sarah Hoffmann wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 08:12:45PM +0100, Maarten Deen wrote:
>> On 2018-02-18 20:07, Paul Johnson wrote:

>> >  It appears to me that the bounding box is used when searching places
>> > (towns, cities) or streets, but not when searching objects like shops
>> > or restaurants.
>> > For instance, searching for a McDonald's always gives me the
>> > McDonald's at 1351, George Dieter Drive, El Paso City, El Paso County,
>> > Texas, 79936, Verenigde Staten van Amerika
>
> To fix that please delete all the wikipedia=McDonalds tags from
> the McDonalds restaurants that show up inappropriately. Nominatim uses
> the wikipedia links to determine how well known a place might be and
> ranks places with a wikipedia tag higher.

I would expect that a bounding box has precedence over other tags. Why
would a wikipedia tag have precedence over the bounding box and a name
tag not?

But then I still don't understand.
In the bugreport I have the example of the shop "kruidvat" (it is a
chain of stores in the Netherlands).
The bounding box is 6.16575,51.36926,6.17049,51.36759 which centers on
the Kruidvat store in Venlo [1]. Nominatim returns the kruidvat in
Amsterdam [2].
Both nodes have a website tag with the same value. Both nodes have the
same tags, expect that one has a source tag.
Then still, why is the boundingbox not looked at _at all_? It's not like
it's the second or third result, it is the 12th result where all other
results have similar tags and the results are the same whatever bounding
box you use.

I can accept that the website tag raises the ranking, but that doesn't
apply in this case since all nodes have the same website tag. It still
looks like the bounding box is not used at all.

I have another example: [3] centers on a restaurant called "Sint Maria"
[4]
Entering this in Nominatim [5] gives tram stops in Brussels, churches
and graveyards in Germany. None of which have a website tag.

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2931123803
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2862337526
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/51.32897/5.97973
[4] http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/3008677405