[OSM-talk] Mapping rivers that flow into/through lakes?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Feb 23 10:35:18 UTC 2018

On 23/02/18 06:53, Maarten Deen wrote:
> I see nothing wrong with those examples, I would do it the same,
> especially if the rivers can be sailed on by boat. Then you absolutely
> need the rivers to be connected to a central river (or fairway) in the
> lake.

But then how far do you go? Should every stream be connected to the
central river? e.g. what about here (
http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/?view=water&lon=28.57869&lat=-16.75136&zoom=11
)?

If some rivers/streams shouldn't be connected, then some data consumers
will have to do an automatic connection anyway. When measuring water run
off and pollution, you probably want to know that "stuff going into
stream X will eventually get to point Y downstream" (right?).

Connecting all means that large lakes will be full of a "skeleton" of
joining rivers/streams, and a small 1km stream could get a lot longer.