[OSM-talk] Mapping rivers that flow into/through lakes?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Feb 23 14:36:53 UTC 2018

On 23/02/18 11:58, François Lacombe wrote:
>     If some rivers/streams shouldn't be connected, then some data consumers
>     will have to do an automatic connection anyway. When measuring water run
>     off and pollution, you probably want to know that "stuff going into
>     stream X will eventually get to point Y downstream" (right?).
>
> I don't get this, which situation do you think of when you say " If some
> rivers/streams shouldn't be connected " ?

If OSM takes a "all rivers must be connected through lakes", then data
consumers have a simple job. If OSM says "some will and some won't",
then data consumers have to process the data to add intra-lake
connections. If they have to do it some of the time, why bother
connecting *any* rivers?

I think I'll change to not connecting rivers, unless it's very obvious,
and leaving data consumers to connect rivers themselves.