[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 17:34:32 UTC 2018

sent from a phone

> On 23. Feb 2018, at 19:29, djakk djakk <djakk.djakk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Don’t worry, when the official system is good, lik in Czechia, it matches Fernando’s suggestion :)

usually you’ll find several “classes” for roads by the public administration, according to the purpose/point of view, at least in Germany and Italy that’s the case. There can be classes according to the importance of connection, frequency of use, and maybe correlated with this size (number and width of lanes) and typology, setting, intensity of maintenance, etc. (some of these classes might only be known to the engineers who design the road / network, or organize the maintenance).
The only “class” you can often easily see is about _who_ does the maintenance (e.g. national/regional/municipality/etc), which is a property we do map as operator. It can occur that there is a strong relationship between the hierarchy of the operators and the importance of the road, but it is generally unlikely that there aren’t any exceptions at all (e.g. because the public administration is usually slow and it will take some time for them to adopt to changed conditions)

Cheers,
Martin