[OSM-talk] Highway=trunk : harmonization between countries ?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Feb 24 21:00:23 UTC 2018

> Every country may have different peculiarities, but the general concept is the same: a road usually restricted to motorized traffic, typically grade separated and distinct carriageways.
>
> We’re normally using British English in tagging but this doesn’t mean we couldn’t map things that don’t occur in the UK or for what they don’t have a word.

I think the main problem is that there are well established guidelines
for various areas on mapping data at both country and region level but
in may cases even those rules do not harmonize. We need the several
levels of highway that are currently accurately mapping UK roads, but
other areas of the world do not need that degree of classifications ...
so they just don't use the ones that are not appropriate ...

( And I am battling getting my computer working again as it was such as
getting email replies properly handled on different lists :( )

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL