[OSM-talk] Automatically generated changeset discussion comments by OSMCha

Michael Reichert osm-ml at michreichert.de
Fri Jan 12 14:07:11 UTC 2018

Hi,

OSMCha started posting comments to changesets a few days ago when a user
marks a changeset as good or bad.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/wille/diary/43101
I would like to ask the author(s) of OSMCha to disable this feature.

We expect to read all mappers incoming message (personal messages and
changeset comments). If third-party tools start to post comments to lots
of changesets automatically, this is some kind of spamming. If OSM sends
to much emails to a user, the user will probably ignore them or treat
them as spam.

I think that OSMCha should not post a comment automatically except if
the user has explicitly asked for feedback or there are quality issues
regarding the edit (mistakes, vandalism, guideline violations or
anything else which makes it necessary to talk to the user).

I post this email to this mailing list instead of filing a bug report a
Github [1] because I want to bring this problem to the wider audience
and initiate a general discussion on the acceptable usage of the
changeset comments API.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this issue?

Best regards

Michael

[1] Btw, which Github repository would be the correct one the file the
bug report at?
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=osmcha+github&t=ffsb&ia=web