[OSM-talk] How to teach novices about optimal changeset size?

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 15:13:46 UTC 2018

Certainly I am not intending to change the community and require every
mapper to comply. If you're an experienced mapper, you're fine.

I mean new users, who are not yet integrated with the community. Their work
should be checked thoroughly (in Achavi, osmcha...). All novices make
mistakes, after all. Better to give them good habits. By extension, smaller
number of changeset will lead to less recycling of same changeset comments.

I made this thread because I found it difficult to convey what is best
practice in short form in changeset comments.

Maybe I should simplify things when explaining to them? No need to tell all
the conventions, just what is a good start - but hoping it won't backfire ;)

17.01.2018 3:35 PM "Imre Samu" <pella.samu at gmail.com> napisał(a):

>  one changeset per building, repeated 20 times

my typical use case:   House numbering on the street:  push the numbers &
forget & go to the next house    ( fast feedback loop vs. Delayed
gratification  )
- sometimes the mobil app is crashing, and I don't want to go back 100m to
re-enter - the last 5-10 numbers

> Obviously this makes them PITA to review quickly in Achavi or whatever
tool you use.

imho: it is easier to group the changeset on the reviewer side :  by user +
by hour   ( group by user, hour )   than change the community.

Imre