[OSM-talk] place=hamlet in cities

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Wed Jan 17 22:55:48 UTC 2018

It seems like a previous import resulted in a lot of place=hamlet for
smaller localities that clearly don't meet the hamlet definition on the
wiki. Some are mobile home parks (trailer parks); others are housing
developments/apartment complexes, and I think there are probably some that
are more properly subdivisions, but all are parts of larger, populated
areas, not isolated, rural places with populations less than 200.

Does anyone see a problem with armchair-mapping these to
place:neighbourhood? I am not planning to do this in an automated fashion,
but instead to pick away at it while reviewing areas of interest to some of
my coworkers, who have noted that an appropriate rendering for an isolated
hamlet doesn't make a lot of sense in a more-populated area.

Thanks,
Kevin

--
Kevin Broderick