[OSM-talk] OSM data, how can we contribute to keep it to a reasonable size?

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Thu Jan 18 10:47:49 UTC 2018

> <oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch <mailto:oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch>>:
>

>     - deleting unnecessary nodes from a way (Shift-Y in JOSM) with
>     consequent verification of its geometry;
>

> please do not use SHIFT+y (simplify way / DouglasPeucker) because it
> doesn't know about the actual geometry, in particular sharp bends or
> curves in general will get worse, it will reduce overall accuracy
> (within the distance limit that you set/default, but ignoring angles).
> You will achieve better results by adjusting the ways manually. IMHO
> applying this algorithm to geometries other than those you added
> yourself is an automated edit and should generally be discouraged.
> There are some sensible usecases (serious "overnoding", particularly
> intermediate nodes in straight lines), but for every longer way (more
> than a screenfull in reasonable zoomlevel) you will typically not see
> all the effects, hence it's an automated edit.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin
Martin,

You are absolutely right. The Simplify way, Shift-Y, in JOSM,
(Douglas-Peucker simplification) should be used only for own edits or
for undeniable over-noding, i.e. a short direct line consisting from
hundreds of nodes (probably from imports or kind of OCR editing).

Otherwise the lines and shapes will look angular.

I had to mention it myself. Thank you.

Best regards,
Oleksiy
osm: Alex-7