[OSM-talk] OSM data, how can we contribute to keep it to a reasonable size?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 11:28:46 UTC 2018

> You make sound 1.7% as not much, however, in say civil aviation or
> maritime industries, consistent 1.7% of fuel efficiency increase would be a
> breakthrough.
>
> I do not suggest, speaking figuratively, not breathing to save air. On the
> contrary, I think the mapping just begins, at least in some areas. So there
> will be much more, perhaps, times more data.
>
> At the same time, it would not harm to be mindful of data size issue and
> to follow simple best practices, as the shortest URL possible, the ISO
> phone format, etc.

do not forget that computers get more powerful very quickly, compared to
airplane efficiency for example. Cost of RAM and Diskspace is constantly
falling, as is raising transfer speed of our internet connections. Reducing
detail to save on disk space isn't what I would recommend. With some
patience, you can still import the whole planet on a 6 years old, lower end
computer with slow HDD (takes approx. 2 weeks), if you need more speed,
invest in RAM and an SSD RAID array (all not so expensive any more). For a
country extract, don't expect it to import within a few minutes, but
besides the biggest countries, a few hours should suffice.

Cheers,
Martin