[OSM-talk] How to teach novices about optimal changeset size?

Gaurav Thapa gthapa.work at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 04:30:21 UTC 2018

@Craig, thank you for this new information. I will give this a try
regarding keeping a changeset open while uploading different parts and will
also teach novice mappers about this option. Though, like John Whelan I am
still skeptical about the added advantage of bigger changesets.
@mmd regarding your question about internet connection. Yes normally a
large changeset results in a long wait for things to upload thus, we like
to encourage people to upload after every 100 map changes (tracing 1
rectangular building = 5 changes). However, when internet is really slow
there is the problem of OSM server response you mention.

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 8:53 PM, Craig Wallace <craigw84+osm at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2018-01-20 14:36, Gaurav Thapa wrote:
>
>> Yes, I am aware of these buttons. Do you mean that we do Ctrl+S
>> frequently in order to do partial saves? I feel this might allow for
>> greater chance for conflicts to occur rather than uploading frequently.
>>

> In JOSM, click on the Upload button. Then in the Upload dialogue, click on
> the tab for "Changesets". Then that has an option for "Close changeset
> after upload". If you untick that option, it will keep the changeset open.
> So you can do frequent uploads, all in the same changeset. Or you could
> have several changesets open, and upload different parts into each one.
>
> Some details here: https://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Action/Upload

Gaurav Thapa
Project Manager
Secondary Cities Pokhara Project