[OSM-talk] WMF: "Interactive maps, now in your language"

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sun Jul 1 23:05:04 UTC 2018

Christian

I fully agree, but we do have enough tools at our disposal to tag
multiple local names in various forms. And while there is always some
dispute in how to do it exactly in multi-lingual areas the principle of
recording these names is well supported.

The one doubtful name in the case of where I live is the gsw name, which
is problematic as there is no agreed on written version of gsw (which
would be difficult to start with because it is just a loose family of
alemannic dialects) so the name clearly exists, there is just no way to
write it outside of fudging it.

Simon