[OSM-talk] proposed mechanical edit - moving FIXME=* to fixme=*

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Jul 3 07:49:46 UTC 2018

3. Lipiec 2018 01:23 od osm-ml at michreichert.de <mailto:osm-ml at michreichert.de>:

> What's the benefit in this mechanical edit? It just sets the
> last_modified attribute to a recent date and data consumers, mappers and
> QA tools get the impression that the object is not old.

- removes common duplicate confusing people
- removes common duplicate requiring special support in anything processing fixme tags

> If you want to search for uses of FIXME, use the OSM Inspector.

Now that I know about existence of FIXME tag I can add support for it in my tools

at 1% of cost of going through mechanical edit.

The entire point is not to support may particular usecase, the point is to save

people in future from spending time on handling tag duplication.

Also, OSM Inspector anyway is not useful at all for offline tag listing on map

during survey, on a phone (my particular usecase).

> Fixmes tend to become the new trash piles in our streets. Lets go out
> and fix them (yeah, the map is quite/too full of them).

That is exactly what I was doing when I discovered that FIXME tag exists.