[OSM-talk] proposed mechanical edit - moving FIXME=* to fixme=*

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 12:28:37 UTC 2018

On 03/07/2018 11:44, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> 3. Lipiec 2018 12:26 od t.pfeifer at computer.org
> <mailto:t.pfeifer at computer.org>:
>
>      > Removing the FIXME tag reduces the learning curve for map editors.
>     What specific skill is to be learned here?
>

> Not skill but knowledge - that fixme and FIXME have exactly the same
> meaning.

Not exactly - when I wrote https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/Notes01 I
specifically looked for "fixme" and not "FIXME" deliberately because I
was specifically looking for entries that were tagged "fixme" and wanted
to avoid older "can someone please map stuff here" entries such as
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/768440770 .  Certainly in the areas I
map in you tend to get different sorts of "fixme" information in each
(though there's substantial overlap of course), not least because of the
earlier popularity of FIXME as has been mentioned elsewhere.

That said, compared to most "I think I can fix the tags in OSM"
mechanical edits the impact is trivial.  The biggest change I'd likely
see would be having to wade through a tiny bit more rubbish to get to
stuff I can usefully fix (whenever I'm anywhere with a Garmin I'll have
a file of local OSM notes and fixmes in it).  Of course, it wouldn't
prevent people adding FIXME tags in the future.

Best Regards,

Andy