[OSM-talk] proposed mechanical edit - moving FIXME=* to fixme=*

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Tue Jul 3 19:53:54 UTC 2018

On Mon, Jul 02, 2018 at 07:42:16PM +0200, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> fixme tag is a standard way to mark fixmes.
> Editors wishing to finish mapping in their area would (directly or
> indirectly, for example using JOSM) look through objects tagged with
> fixme tags.
>
> FIXME tag is an unexpected way to mark fixmes, retagging this duplicate to
> fixme key would improve tagging without any information loss.
>
> It would make development of QA tools easier as authors would not need to
> discover and implement support for this duplicated key.

IMHO fixing problems in the data always start with fixing the cause
why they are added in the first place. Otherwise you fix the current
state but errors start beeing added the minute you think you are "done".

For the case problem here i dont think a mechanical edit is advised.

We have at least 3 ways - fixme=* FIXME=* and note=fixme *.

When you count in all the case variations like:
[Ff][Ii][Xx][Mm][Ee]= and note=[Ff][Ii][Xx][Mm][Ee] *

You are in the hundrets. Just fixing FIXME to fixme is just
a small fraction of the issue.

Better fix data consumers to use strncasecmp and not strncmp.

Flo