[OSM-talk] Scientific paper on "Information Seeding"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 09:01:51 UTC 2018

On 09/07/18 18:35, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> And if you want to know about how to successfully map and build a local
> mapping community in a large and sparsely populated country and are fed
> up with the namby-pamby western Europeans who don't know a thing about
> this maybe talk to the Russians...

Yep.

All to easy to be critical .. but so what?
Getting people to contribute to the map is what it is about.
There is one guy on Quilpie Queensland Australia who has made good contributions to the map - he is local .. so knows what is there.
The edits may not be the 'best' but they do indicate what is there.. I've edited some of them to make them OSM 'better' but tried to keep the original information.
Yet to contact him to let him know .. but good on him for putting his foot in the water.
Don't think there is much chance of getting a local group out there .. unless you count 1 as a group.
And maybe one is all it takes in smaller places.
Officially Quilpie's population is less than 600.