[OSM-talk] Remote Sensing / DOP / DIY people

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Fri Jun 1 08:31:00 UTC 2018

Hi Oleksiy,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2018 at 10:08:06AM +0200, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> The DIY RC aircraft approach has got some other advantages, not only the
> initial cost: the plane can be easily repaired, parts may be reused for
> another project, one can build a airplane capable to carry any equipment,
> etc. Besides, if one learns to build an airplane one can build about
> anything.
>
> The article, which you mention, describes a plane of the so called pusher
> configuration [1], with a propeller behind. This configuration has got some
> advantages, especially for the FPV (first person view) flight. However,
> there is a serious disadvantage notably for mapping. The pusher
> configuration is very noisy because a pusher prop is working in a disturbed
> airflow, causing increased vibration and noise. For mapping urban areas it
> is very significant

The Sensefly EBee is the same configuration - Fixed Wing Pusher and the
results are astonishing.

Fixed Wings are robust by design - So for a newbie they should be a lot
more manageable. Yes i lost some props due to crashes but not much
further damage.

I got NAV Launch to work yesterday and basically you throw the wing into
the air and it starts climbing until you touch the sticks. So takeoff
and landing is a matter of throwing and letting it "crash" in a grass
field near you. Although my power/weight ratio is not as good as
expected so it takes a while to gain enough speed to climb.

> I would also like to add a general remark that an airplane has got one (or
> two) engines, but the quad-copter has got four. Besides, a plane can glide.
> It explains why a fix-wing has better endurance and range than a
> multi-rotor.

It flies aerodynamically not by simple force of the props like the Quad ;)
In my configuration i think i get airtime of 45 Minutes or something.

And yes - It glides pretty well ...

I am know confident that i get the flying gear to work - probably not my
proof of concept but it'll work and produce aerials.

And than?

Flo