[OSM-talk] Danger zone for pedestrians

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 09:42:44 UTC 2018

> On 2018-03-05 06:23, Rodrigo Rodríguez wrote:
>
>> These are sort of the things I would appreciate I could be able to
>> map in OSM. Even with the subjective point of view that might
>> represent to tag a way as insecure or not, it is easily achievable to
>> determine a way or schema in wich you could identify wether a street
>> is safe to walk or pass through under determinated conditions.
>>

> I disagree. Nothing is more subjective than a sense of danger. There are a
> few roads in my home town that I hear from one or two people are "very
> dangerous" and "should be avoided by bicycle" where I have no problem with
> those roads at all and use them daily.
> How can I determine that from a very subjective "dangerous" tag. I would
> have to see that road for myself to determine if I find it dangerous or
> not, making that tag useless.
>
> If you want such a classification, you would need to tap into crime and
> accident statistics for that road.

I agree that there can be roads and areas one wants to avoid, for many
reasons, including having fear of perceived or actual danger. As this is
subjective and hard or even intrinsicly impossible to verify, I don't think
we should have these in OSM though. I would suggest using a routing engine
that allows for avoidance of given areas, e.g. ORS. These areas could also
be stored in some crowdsourced system, but I don't know if this is already
available.

Cheers,
Martin