[OSM-talk] Everything is a tertiary road

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Mar 18 21:29:36 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm not actively mapping in Myanmar or Vietnam. But I run a tool to
detect major highways suddenly ending.

During the last few months I see a drastic increase of these kind of
tagging mistakes.

Check out this area. Nearly everything is mapped as a tertiary.

http://compare.osm-tools.org/loose.html?zoom=14&lat=20.4022&lon=95.43368&layers=BT

I never got response to changeset comments.

This user with ru language setting is very involved or the only source
to thousands of these faulty taggings:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/4719341

I count nearly 23.000 highway=tertiary by this specific user.

Is someone aware of a large-scale directed mapping activity there? Can
someone, preferably Russian speaking get in contact please and educate
about proper road tagging?

How can this be repaired? It is a massive amount...

It hurts a bit to see OSM going down the drain there.

Vietnam is not that drastic. Still lots of small roads tagged with
strange looking names, coming from user-accounts which seems to be
created for exactly that purpose.

Again a country with no active community which could cry for help after
being force-mapped.

Stephan