[OSM-talk] Unify Mapping and wiki accounts? -- WAS: Vote cheating?

Nicolás Alvarez nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 04:51:54 UTC 2018

El 18 mar. 2018, a la(s) 20:50, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com> escribió:

>>> Am 18.03.2018 um 20:45 schrieb Richard:
>>> fundamental decission - maybe osm and osm-wiki accounts should be the same?
>> This had been independent in the very old history. And now you have conflicts => will not work w/o huge effort...
>> There had been requests like this 5 years ago or so w/o success. Not because nobody wanted to implement but because it was not possible.
>
> This is a great idea.
>
> Can you sum up what are the technical issues which make it not possible please ?

Suppose user 'John' currently has a wiki account called 'JohnW'. That's currently possible, since the accounts are independent. What do you do if you unify the accounts? Does OSM user John get a new wiki account called John? What if that wiki account already exists? Or does he have to manually connect the OSM and Wiki accounts?

What if an OSM user called JohnW also exists (but never used the wiki yet), what wiki account do you create for him if the name JohnW is already taken on the wiki?

Users can rename OSM accounts. What happens if a user has accounts on both OSM and the wiki, with the same name, but changes his user name to "Javiersanp"? That name isn't taken in OSM, but it's taken in the wiki. Does the rename get rejected?

There are different OSM users "nicolas" and "Nicolas". Wiki usernames always have a uppercase first letter, so if accounts get unified, those two different OSM users can't get different wiki accounts. There is a similar problem with the wiki considering " " (space) and "_" (underscore) equivalent, while OSM doesn't.

I would love it if wiki accounts and OSM accounts were unified, but that would need to be done since the start. Now it seems too hard to do it; too many conflicts with existing accounts.

--
Nicolás