[OSM-talk] 3D models in OSM?! 3D Model Repository has just launched!

Pedro Amaro n101010k at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:26:27 UTC 2018

Hey Yuri and Janko, thank you for your interest!

About your questions:

> Do you see your site being in a direct competition, or somehow helping each other and cooperating for the common good?  I doubt WMF will implement much functionality for the OMS-specific goals at this stage.

I personally believe that both repositories can cooperate, despite
having different goals. For instance, if you made a model of the
Eiffel Tower, you could submit it to both repositories, to provide an
interactive 3D representation of the building in Wikipedia, and for
displaying it on a map in OSM. Models from the Wikimedia site, with
the correct licenses, could also be imported to 3DMR and vice-versa.

> There are several reasons for referencing them, one is if you render the Eiffel tower, you don't have to render the Eiffel tower way underneath. So if you see the tag 3dmr=4, you ignore the way and just render the 3d model.

Indeed, it's currently working the way you're describing, the way
underneath is ignored when we render the model, in that case. You can
consult more information on the 3dmr=* tag in
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tordanik/Proposed_features/3D_model_repository_links.

> Also, the 3d model can show the metadata taken from the way when clicked.

That could be a feature of a 3D visualizer, yes. In fact, I believe
OSM go already implements this. Try going to
http://osmgo.org/go.html?lat=41.69230008&lon=-8.82631887&ele=1.50&dir=351&view=-7&con=2&opt=0&name=beton
and clicking on the 3D model of the bench! Or do you mean something
else by 'metadata'?

> I'll be making models, thanks for this!

Thank you! Have anything to model in mind?