[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Wed May 2 10:01:25 UTC 2018

pon, 30. tra 2018. u 08:28 Yuri Astrakhan <yuriastrakhan at gmail.com> napisao
je:

> "official_language" is not a good tag name because it does not match the
> meaning, e.g. the official languages of Canada are both en & fr, but
> "name"
> tag is always in English except for Quebec, where it is in French.

 I agree that "official_language" has a much too restrictive meaning. It
will bury us in bureaucracy of "what is actually official".
"default_language" is a bit vague, but maybe a better fit to solve this
problem.

So just look at a region, see in what language >90% of the labels are, and
add default_language=*. It's not going to be 100% accurate, but infinitely
better then nothing. Than try to get closer to 100% by adding
default_language to subregions, and in the end, individual objects.

I like that approach.

Janko