[OSM-talk] Name:* tags in the local language

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sat May 5 00:05:13 UTC 2018

Janko, while I agree that it is possible in theory, I am not sure this is a
big problem. After all, if you are downloading a single region, you are
much more likely to know more about that region, and not need any
defaults.  The problem solved by the default_language is fairly specific to
planet-level maps, where there are too many languages to manage
realistically.   I think that adding and managing this tag on every
possible region (tens of thousands?), just in case someone somewhere might
need it seems like a bad idea. Appending it dynamically on download might
be ok, but again - there has to be someone whom this benefit in a
significant way, and this has to be a simpler solution than alternatives.

One option BTW might be to create a service that produces a map of defaults
- than it would be a relatively small download, allowing users to convert
any geopoint into a language.