[OSM-talk] Using Wikipedia to add names in other languages

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat May 5 15:08:09 UTC 2018

5. May 2018 16:14 by dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>:

> On 5. May 2018, at 15:39, Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>

>> sui generis database right is not existing in USA. It is existing in EU, including UK.
>>

> right. And the thing you have potentially to fear is that the owner of the db sues you. If this is both wikimedia (for WP and WD) and they have released WD as cc0, what is the problem you fear?

For start, for OSM mapping we are supposed to use data compatible with ODBL,

rather than "everything, no matter copyright, as long as we think that we will not be sued".

Additionally, people imported into WD and WP data (and entire databases)

 not owned by Wikimedia Foundation, so owners of this data may disagree with WMF.

As I understand situation, there are some cases where data is CC0 in USA jurisdiction

(so for WP and WD) and is still incompatible with ODBL (sui generis database right is the

simplest case).

Just because Wikidata has "CC0" in footer it does not mean that any data imported into Wikidata

magically becomes CC0 without any restrictions.