[OSM-talk] OSMF silently sides with Russia?

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 13:09:32 UTC 2018

2018-11-20, an, 14:33 john whelan rašė:
> I think you have expressed your opinion but unfortunately whilst difficult
> for you to accept traditionally OSM maps a certain way and has done
> for sometime even though many governments and others would wish
> we did something else.

  Can you give an example where things in OpenStreetMap are mapped in
a different way than overwhelming majority of world thinks?

  Note: I'm not asking to tag Crimea as just Ukraine (which would be
my personal opinion). I'm asking to have an open discussion of
disputed territory rules and hopefully revert to the previous "middle
ground" which was acceptable to more/most parties - thus being less
partitioning.

  There was no such discussion yet. In November there was something
like that starting, but then Frederik wrote this:
  https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2018-October/081570.html
  Well, English is not my native tongue, but I do not see any
possibility to discuss in these claims:
  "the Crimea issue is currently being discussed in DWG."
  "This policy is not likely to change any time soon."
  I read it as: we are discussing it internally but are not going to
change anything.
  No surprise discussion has stopped shortly after that. I personally
was expecting DWG to come up with some generalisation and a number of
proposals which could be discussed. But that did not happen. Decision
has been taken and not announced.

P.S. I encourage people responding to me personally to reply to the
mailing list, so that It would be visible this is not just my personal
opinion.