[OSM-talk] OSMF silently sides with Russia?

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 20:07:17 UTC 2018

> All borders are verifiable mostly only by checking official documents.

I think you are missing something very basic here.

If two official documents are in disagreement then which one is correct?  Two countries claiming the same territory for example.

>   Those apps, which cannot tolerate overlap, would calculate a diff, calculating the difference is not something very new and challenging.
Making any change can be difficult that is why professional IT staff have change management systems.  First you have to contact every person who has created an app and they have to see if the change impacts them.  Both steps take an enormous amount of effort.  One major practical problem being there is no central repository or register of all the apps that consume OpenStreetMap data.  Another problem is apps are used by people in different ways sometimes in ways that programmer didn't imagine.  The programmer may think its fine but an end user maybe impacted.  Training material may be impacted, this is how you do something.  A small change may have a very big impact.

However OpenStreetMap can be forked so you may wish to create your own version and set the rules the way you'd like to see them.  FOSM.org is an example of this.

Cheerio John

--
Sent from Postbox