[OSM-talk] Feature Proposal - RFC - Mapping disputed boundaries

Victor Shcherb victor.shcherb at osmand.net
Tue Nov 27 11:57:27 UTC 2018

Hi All,
It might sound a bit critical but I believe the ways *without a role * in
admin_level=2 creates more confusion than bring value.
First of all, the biggest value of admin_level=2:
- to identify country as it is in UN
- to have name translated in different languages
- to have extra tags related to the country (probably spoken language or
some details like right/left hand driving)
- define further administrative structure *driven by local country
authorities.*

I like the idea that Ukraine has a proper admin subdivision for regions
defined by local OSM community and it has Crimea registered with role
"claimed" which is 1) indicative and 2) valuable

Ways on these relations could be misinterpreted  as 1) official boundaries
by UN 2) boundaries that are controlled and patrolled by official army 3)
boundaries "recognized" by OSMF 4) boundaries by constitution of the
country itself . And it creates a mess of interpretation and doesn't help
anybody.

Another argument that ways of admin_level=2, these enormous relations are
mostly broken and create issues for editing/validating anyway. In theory
the users of admin_level boundaries could use the sum of further
administrative division and subselect proper roles.

So, I would suggest:
1) To get rid of non-role member ways from admin_level relation
2) But keep the ways themselves visible that will represent controlled
boundaries

Best Regards,
Victor