[OSM-talk] Is it time to redevelop JOSM?

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Mon Oct 8 14:33:23 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 11:26:20PM +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:
> Someone attempted to re-develop JOSM (as "JOSM-ng") in 2008 and even
> then (with JOSM having a fraction of the features it has today) it
> didn't get anywhere ;)
>
> I recently (on josm-dev) said that the actual code is not the essence of
> JOSM, but the UI and workflow. I said that the actual language in which
> it was written is irrelevant and that it could probably rewritten if
> need be. But this was an opinion not widely shared among other
> participants of the mailing list, and I guess they know what they're
> talking about.

> Writing a new piece of software that fully mimicks an existing program
> is likely to be easier than developing a new editor from scratch, but
> it's still a lot of work, and I don't currently see the need. I guess
> there will be workarounds for many of the issues you mention, and some
> issues are not work-around-able - for example, if your IT admin decides
> that you should not be able to install software locally for security
> reasons, then it is hard to envisage any kind of "offline editor"
> working well. C# won't save you here.

Over the last 2-3 years i am getting my trouble with josm because it
is no longer an offline editor. Everyone who has tried starting josm
on Edge type connections (Yes - i do have DSL Light with 384KBit/s at
home) knows what i am talking about.

For me the best case starting josm is 2-3 Minutes - YES Minutes. Worst
case i am at 35 Minutes - Thats more than half an hour.
This happens when some "view" decides that its time to update its png
files from the web. The EU Sign file is 42 MByte which is at best case
35KByte/s - 1228 seconds to download.

Just count the number of network requests for views, image layers,
motd, plugins, user details, user messages and you know the pain.

There is no way to make JOSM really an offline editor now.

Flo