[OSM-talk] Community Data License Agreement – Permissive and ODbL?

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Mon Oct 8 20:28:39 UTC 2018

Hi Maurizio,
We did discuss CDLA at the last meeting, and are still considering what
communications to put out about it.
But for your specific situation of whether CDLA Permissive would be a good
choice for Italian public administration officials/agencies, it could work,
but I am not sure that the administrators would like CDLA Permissive any
more than CC-BY.
CDLA Permissive is not the same as CC-BY (there are some interesting
differences in the details), but at a high level, CDLA would allow the
public to use & redistribute the dataset for free. I'm not sure what
concern they could have about CC-BY that CDLA would solve. Is this related
to section 3.3 that you quoted?
Also, (I don't know what you've tried asking the administrators before, so
sorry if this is duplicative) have you already tried asking them just for
permission to add to OSM? Or to license (or dual-license) under Open
Government License or ODbL?
Best,
Kathleen