[OSM-talk] Fwd: DWG policy on Crimea

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Oct 23 12:56:34 UTC 2018

Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> writes:

> Not to mention that the situation of a country claiming territory that it
> physically controls, but only it recognizes, is also a relatively rare
> thing this decade.  Playing it conservatively in the "Russia claims Crimea
> and controls it, but unilaterally and by force from Ukraine" is definitely
> a situation that deserves both claims being mapped until the broader
> international community does.  I believe the original complaint to be
> generously asking a lot given the context of this specific dispute and
> they're arguing a side one country says "yes", and literally every other
> country or very close close to it) says "no".  Would be like if the US
> arbitrarily steamed into the Manitoba and claimed it as a state...pretty
> sure the world would see both claims and at least have serious problems
> with one until the locals settled it definitively and, as the world views
> it, either amicably or definitively but preferably both.  Given that Hans
> Island isn't a settled issue between Canada and Denmark with literally zero
> people and only speculative resources at stake, 30 years later, don't count
> on Crimea getting resolved any faster given the current pace to resolve it
> on the ground.

You make very good points and I don't disagree with them.

I was trying to avoid getting into the details, and only trying to rebut
the notion that "we accept government data abouto boundaries, so we
should accept it here too".   This is actually consistent with what you
said, that if multiple adjoining governments have the same idea of the
boundary, that's a clue that it's uncontested and probably good data.