[OSM-talk] Need some help regarding GSOC

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 21:58:17 UTC 2018

Hi Vasu,

It's indeed great to see you're interested at this early stage. If you like
we can have a hangout, where I'll demo JOSM to you. JOSM is our advanced
editor and it's written in Java. We can talk about improvements that can be
made to it. But first I'll show you how to use it to map. It's important to
understand the data model.

When you get started and just draw roads and buildings or add POIs, it's
relatively simple. So that's a good place to start. When you start using it
to create itineraries (bicycle, hiking, public transport, etc), turn
restrictions and multipolygons it becomes a bit more complex and that's
where the editor could become more helpful to assist mappers and make them
more productive.

Let me know when you would have time for a Google Hangout.

Polyglot