[OSM-talk] loc_name vs. reg_name

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Sep 19 10:07:17 UTC 2018

On 19.09.2018 10:23, Warin wrote:
> On 19/09/18 15:40, Bernhard R. Fischer wrote:
>> Ok of course, but the size of the entity to be named isn't determined by
>> the name-tag I choose rather than e.g. by place=hamlet/city/..., isn't it?
>>
> The size of the OSM feature is determined by its tags and the area.
>
> The definition of the areas of 'local' and 'regional' for name:loc and name:reg is a matter of where
> that OSM feature is in the world.
> Regional is always larger than local, for OSM.

In addition, it is not about the size of the object, it is about how widespread the particular name is.

E.g. I had a new motorway section which was tagged name=Funny Thing (name has been changed for the
privacy of the motorway). This wasn't signposted anywhere, and it turned out that this name was
introduced by some local politician in the planning phase of this project. Thus I changed the name
tag to loc_name, as this local politician and some of his followers are calling it so, but it is
unknown and not helpful to the long-distance users of the motorway.

tom
(wondering why this issue is on talk and not on tagging