[OSM-talk] OSM Wikibase is now live

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 06:18:44 UTC 2018

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 9:50 AM Mateusz Konieczny <  matkoniecz at tutanota.com
  > wrote:

> Main point of separate presets is that creator of an editor has control
> over it.

Mateusz, who should control an app's behavior - the developer or the
community?  Can app make certain editing choices because the dev feels it
should be a certain way, without consulting the community? Can community
make changes impacting the app?  Going too far into both direction seems
bad.  See my other post to Michael -- I think having a structured data
approach allows the dev to easily generate and compare versions of the
rules. This way both the community can easily modify the rules when needed,
and the dev can have a second glance over it, to see exactly what has
changed.

Essentially it is the same problem as with any other wiki, including osm
map data itself -- ease and speed of community's contributions vs
vandalism/errors.  Someone makes a mistake and half of Asia shows as being
under water (I saw that once on WP maps).  Someone else vandalizes NYC
name, and we get a lot of media attention... bad attention.

Devs cannot know all the mapping rules - they cannot be responsible for
checking them all. Instead, it would be better if we build good validation
practices around those rules, so that any vandalism or simple mistakes
become easy to spot, and very quick to fix.

(P.S. Mateusz, sorry for the dup)