[OSM-talk] iD influencing tagging

Yuri Astrakhan yuriastrakhan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 20:23:55 UTC 2019

On Sun, Apr 7, 2019 at 1:48 PM john whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tagging is not always easy, highways in Africa are an example.  See a dirt
> track in Europe and its probably a highway=track.  In Africa it probably
> isn't.

A "road is a highway" is confusing because the word "highway" has a
different meaning depending on the region. Yet, tagging should not be
ambiguous -- the whole idea about tagging is so that I (the consumer) can
understand what you (the mapper) meant in the most precise way.  A good
example is "denomination=evangelical" -- German speakers should not use it
for "evangelisch" which stands for denomination=protestant. The word may be
the same, but we treat "evangelical" as an ID for a specific meaning,
rather than reflect local language customs.