[OSM-talk] FCC public documents license and submarine cables mapping

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Apr 14 07:33:50 UTC 2019

de minimis is applicable in cases where copyrighted content is unimportant addition to
work

it certainly does not apply in case where you copy solely that content

For example de minimis apply if you take photo and there is a movie poster in the
background.

It stops to apply once you crop to show solely that copyrighted poster.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:De_minimis <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:De_minimis> has fairly good introduction

Compare
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GT2_-_Flickr_-_CarSpotter.jpg <https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:GT2_-_Flickr_-_CarSpotter.jpg>
where de minims appply
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Dark_Knight_movie_poster_-_censored_copyright.jpg <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Dark_Knight_movie_poster_-_censored_copyright.jpg>
where it likely no longer applies

------

"data is low quality" is not waiving copyright.

Apr 14, 2019, 7:39 AM by talk at openstreetmap.org: