[OSM-talk] FCC public documents license and submarine cables mapping

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Mon Apr 15 16:07:32 UTC 2019

Hi Martin,
Yes, Google might already have a subsidiary in a country (since they have
them in many but certainly not in all countries) but they would still have
to "go" there in the sense that: 1) I very much doubt the subsidiary would
already have a plaintiff-side copyright attorney on speed dial, so they'd
have to get one; 2) they'd have to produce the paperwork that shows that
subsidiary owns the copyright in question. Given that this was a filing
with the US FCC, odds are that all the people involved in producing the
filing are in the US, and therefore the paperwork is in the US and would
need to be transferred to the subsidiary in order for the subsidiary to
sue... (Frankly, I don't think it'd be cheaper to that, vs the default
ownership entity hiring local lawyers and filing suit in its own name, so I
don't think the existence of the subsidiaries matters.)
-Kathleen