[OSM-talk] Bank of India (and other) Wikidata tags

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 17 21:38:10 UTC 2019

Apr 17, 2019, 11:19 PM by andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk:

> On Wed, 17 Apr 2019 at 21:03, Mateusz Konieczny <> matkoniecz at tutanota.com <mailto:matkoniecz at tutanota.com>> > wrote:
>

>> [list of examples]
>>

> It would seem reasonable to have a bot routinely convert those to
> brand:wikipedia tags, with (say) a white-list for HQ objects.

Also HQ should not be linked to Wikipedia article describing company.

HQ object may be linked using wikipedia (and optionally also wikidata)
only if there is article specifically about the HQ building.

> We could also suggest that tools (JOSM, ID, etc) issue a warning when
> such values are added, ether based on matching items in a list, for
> retching the item's "insatnce of" value from Wikidata.

I am not sure about is using "instance of" data from Wikidata limited by
copyright issues. Blacklist of very popular values may be a good idea,
though personally I think that automatic edit fixing this would be preferable
(it is on my TODO list, but I expect that I will not start working on it before 2021).

>> "wikipedia='de:Stolpersteine'",
>>
>> "wikipedia='nl:Toeristisch Overstappunt'",
>>

> Those should perhaps be wikipedia:type= ?

wikipedia:type=en:Tree on natural=tree would make the same sense.

>> and complete removal is probably necessary.

Note that wikipedia:type would invite wikipedia:type=en:Tree on natural=tree
or wikipedia:type=en:Road on every single road.

> And programmatically addressing the commonest cases
> (such as those discussed above) will reduce the number considerably.

Feel free to go through discussion necessary before the edit
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Automated_Edits_code_of_conduct>
(edit itself can be done within minutes using JOSM).