[OSM-talk] usefulness of brand:wikipedia and brand:wikidata tags (was Re: Bank of India (and other) Wikidata tags)

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Thu Apr 18 13:12:46 UTC 2019

On Thu, 18 Apr 2019 at 09:28, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> The general mindset of the Wikidata adherent is

At what point did we appoint you our spokesman?

> that every
> machine-readable link between obejcts or concepts improves the overall
> quality and usefulness of the data set, whether or not a concrete use
> case exists at this point in time or not.

There is always a concrete use case.

> However, the ferocity and scope with which Wikidata links are forced on
> us

"forced"?

> are a concern for me.

> We end up with tons of extra tags that add zero
> extra information and complicate the world for mappers.

There are zero Wikidata tags that add zero information

> And I'm not even talking about our own wiki where they've started to
> wikidatify our tags as well.

That's no more true than saying wiki.openstreetmap.org is "Wikipediafied".

You're confusing the use of Wikibase software with Wikidata.

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing