[OSM-talk] We're erasing our history in wiki

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Apr 22 11:08:09 UTC 2019

On 22/04/2019 11:45, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> It’s history.
Ilya ... it's the same problem we have with with a lot of the historic
material. Personally I'd prefer to see the history accessible in some
way, be it the history of the development of a area of mapping data, or
the history of how we got to a particular style of recording that data.
The data is in reality not totally lost, all that is missing is some
general consensus on making it visible when appropriate.

There has been a request for 'namespaces' in the wiki to help manage
such things as the historic discussions on how tags have evolved and why
some have been rejected. I'm not sure that it is the appropriate way to
manage it, but an historic time line view of wiki pages is something
that would not require 'manual management' and with a switch to display
or not deleted pages would fill the gap? People investigating a
particular tagging development could then see the past history of
related pages.

Doing the same with the map data is somewhat more difficult, but I still
think it's a development that would replace the need to marry OSM with
OHM for material that is substantially linked to current live data?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL