[OSM-talk] Isn't it nice to share? 🙂 | Re: Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Fri Aug 2 05:57:38 UTC 2019

On 01/08/2019 18:35, Kathleen Lu via talk wrote:
> I don't think it's disingenuous at all for Facebook to use their own
> POIs instead of OSM's. Wasn't the whole point of the Collective
> Databases principle and the Collective Databases Guideline
> specifically to enable this type of usage, so that those interested
> in OSM did not have to make an "all or nothing" choice?

Oh yes, there's nothing wrong with Facebook (and Yelp, and TripAdvisor
and and) having their own PoI database. But, they _could_ help us,
massively, by sharing it. They way they talk about OSM, you'd swear they
were already doing all they could to help us. 😉

But it's naive to think they ever will. Nothing wrong with that,
shareholder value and all that.